Thursday, February 08, 2007

Starting Pitchers to Watch in 2007: Jason Jennings

Only 53 days to opening day.

Jason Jennings only has one pitch: the sinker ball. But just knowing it's coming doesn't blunt its effectiveness. It will probably be even more effective with the move from Coors Field to Minute Maid Park. He'll probably be somewhere around his career best 3.78 ERA (212 innings of work) from last year. He was only 9-13, but the Rockies were just preparing him for the kind of run support he can expect from Houston. And as the Astros are my least favorite team it pains me to admit that this was an inspired trade to bring his sinker down to Texas.

The Bill James, CHONE, Marcel, ZiPS projections have him right around double-digit wins with some errosion on the hits allowed and ERA. I think he'll do better than that over in the NL Central Division.

This guy's another potential sleeper (I seem to be favoring those in my pre-season previews). He won't be drafted in too many fantasy leagues. I'd pick him up in a late round or put him on a watch list as he'll probably be available on waivers later in the year.

No comments: